[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

ComKal Networks admin at comkal.com.au
Tue Sep 6 22:56:58 EST 2016

Hi Paul,

> Services universities provide to their students are treated as within their
> immediate circle, so if universities have DR requirements, it's to support
> other commercial arrangements.

Universities provide email to those that have graduated, industry
tutors working at Universities, infrastructure to some start ups and
research groups that may not have ex students within their groups.
Student email is also used overseas, for social media, for so
many things. University email accounts do more then just email
to immediate circle's obviously, it is email :)

Government want to cover as many sides of communications as
possible, so if one University sends emails to another University,
they want that meta data, you do know what hotbeds of discontent Australian Universities are don't you?

As a non uni type person you are also free to access University
Library's and even some infrastructure as long as you have at
least obtained a Non University member Campus Card.

I can't see why a University would be exempt from having
to comply with Data Retention in Australia.

> I am not a lawyer. This is not expert opinion.

Neither am I a lawyer, or an expert :)

Cheers
Ian Manners
Now I have to get back to my Uni essay which is overdue:(