[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

Rod rod at rb.net.au
Tue Sep 6 08:50:40 EST 2016

My 2c:

Disappointed, but not surprised. *Witness to much bending over with hand outstretched.

Despite the outpouring of concern about rights of Australians during the drafting of the bill, the industry has caved in and the people leading the industry are as hypocritical as those in other industries.

Anyone of Telstra, Optus and TPG have spent far more defending and paying fines around dubious advertising and business practices than challenging the Government’s right to make this law. Recent examples:

Singtel Optus Pty Ltd v ACCC [2012] FCAFC 20  ($3.6M)

ACCC v TPG Internet Pty Ltd [2013] HCA 54 (~$2M)

ACCC v Telstra Corporation Limited [2010] FCA 790 (~$18M)

ACCC v iiNet  2015 ($0.2M)

Days of free and open internet wounded by greed and apathy from industry leaders. Using Australian vernacular: they never really supported our rights to privacy or they are a bunch of weak pricks. Possibly both.

PS: I did not apply for a grant.

Rod