[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Tue Sep 6 01:39:15 EST 2016

Hi Michael,

It is certainly an interesting question. But, I think it is pretty simple
in that the people 'selling' the internet (layer 3) access are the ones who
are the ISP.

There is a reason you do not see most of the Layer 2 providers on the list
as they are exempt. But, if they sold layer 3 - which your customers do,
then it is they who have the obligation.  Who owns the equipment or
resources I think is largely irrelevant.

Do you sell transit to your carrier/ISP customers?  If so, then you may
well be an ISP as well.

We run something similar called ElasticISP, but we don't consider ourselves
a carrier or ISP, just as a Data Centre or someone you lease equipment from
are not carriers. We also do not sell transit at all to make sure we do not
fall under the DR requirements.