[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Sep 5 21:37:46 EST 2016

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016, Stuart Low wrote:

> Is S3 storage even an option? I haven't really been following along
> here so I'm talking completely out of school but isn't there privacy
> issues with storing in the cloud?

That was raised several times early on, and even if it were legally or
legislatively permitted, I don't belive it would be morally so.

> If they add encryption to the mix then record size blows out 10-fold.

Surely you would compress, then encrypt. Significant benefits of
compression of "raw text" files gained, then the security considerations
of encryption.

> I wonder if the government would have been better building a black box
> solution to be deployed in common datacentres and expect radius or ftp
> offload or something.

That was suggested too. I suspect it raised far more technical problems
than "the department" was prepared for, and more than a small amount of
risk mitigation - when (and I mean "when", not "if") there is a data
breach, they're going to want to distance themselves as far as they can
from it - and being "those in charge of data storage" will be a very
(politically) risky situation to be in.

> That way the government could centralise as required, manage it's own
> vendors, have a consistent format it could change, the list goes on

I'd like to <tongue firmly in cheek> invite you to point out ANYTHING in
this entire mess that was sensible, logical, considered, prudent or just
about anything else you like to measure.