[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Sep 5 19:42:54 EST 2016

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016, paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au wrote:

> It's also interesting to see how many people didn't apply for funding or
> weren't approved.

> I know we didn't even both applying, so is that the attitude that many
> others have taken or have 220 odd ISP's been rejected in the funding
> provided ?

I know several who "gave up" the application process pretty early in the
piece for a variety of reasons. Some of them stated the effort required
was disproportionate for any (perceived/promised) funds; some because they
hadn't had their DRIP approved in time; some because they had other time
commitments and couldn't get the application done in the fairly narrow
timeframe permitted; and at least one because they couldn't comply with
some of the "mandatory" conditions (like accountant signing off on their
income, or had not lodged tax returns for the previous year).

I've not heard of anyone who applied for funding but was rejected
although there probably are some.

I'd also just like to point out that the costs of implementation may be
far more than "a big hard disk to store stuff", and may include some
expensive resources many don't have in-house - like proper legal
interpretations of what exactly it IS that must be captured (rather than
the official guide which merely defined what is NOT)

R.