[AusNOG] The shape of DDoS to come

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Thu Oct 27 20:57:01 EST 2016

3). Business model's will likely need to change or volumes will need to be better supported; there are various ways to solve this from routing most services through ddos protection or perhaps just outstripping ddos volumes by having so much surplus capacity it isn't a concern (whilst this may not often be feasible or economical) it seems that is the way things are moving. Buy Scale, Build Scale, or eat the ddos.

Yum…. Yum… Yum Packets for Dinner anyone ??

With the price of international IP transit from major carriers around the world below $0.40 cents per mbit the cost of bandwidth has dropped a lot….The only costly part to the equation is brining unwanted dirty traffic back to Australia.. (but why do that) much easier to clean unwanted traffic as close to the source as possible if you have the technology.

On a side note….What I do find interesting is I saw no abnormal traffic on large global peering exchange graphs during this attack….. ie
https://ams-ix.net/technical/statistics and https://www.de-cix.net/en/locations/germany/frankfurt/statistics

So where did the traffic come from……

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg
P:  1300 769 972  |  M:  0488 997 207 |  D:  (03) 9751 7616
E:   james.braunegg at micron21.com<mailto:james.braunegg at micron21.com>  |  ABN:  12 109 977 666
W:  www.micron21.com/ddos-protection<http://www.micron21.com/ddos-protection>   T: @micron21

Follow us on Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/micron21> for important service and system updates.

[M21.jpg]

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.