[AusNOG] The shape of DDoS to come

Jim Woodward jim at alwaysnever.net
Thu Oct 27 12:52:53 EST 2016

Given the CPU power of modern routers the issue is that they now have
resources well in excess of any WAN link to fill said link with traffic
and not even break a sweat, security is definitely an area that needs to
be consider closely.

I am a believer that subscription services from vendors should exist
(e.g. Cisco) but major security updates should be free for the lifetime
of the device, Having worked in the industry for a long time I can
attest to the fact that having a support contract doesn't mean devices
are kept to a regular update schedule, in fact I have replaced failed
units under contract in the field that are covered by a SMARTNET and
been told to install an IOS many years old because that's what the
original device had, not something I would do if it was a device within
my control.

I think an open model for security patches does need to be considered
for the greater good.

Kind Regards,

Jim.