[AusNOG] Pivit Networks

Michael J. Carmody michael at opusv.com.au
Thu Oct 6 22:50:48 EST 2016

A quick query from the more experienced and telco legislation savvy operators on the list.

Got pinged by a client in Queensland where one of their offices appears to be on a 'Opticomm-style' estate. The ISP in question is Pivit Networks.

Their website seems pretty integrated in that they seem to be the network operator and retailer, and probably go in on the grandfathered 'built before 2011' clause?

Been troubleshooting this connection and it appears internally there is something weird with the backhaul, as the clients traffic reliably hits 70-80ms before leaving the pivit internal network in PEAK times only for a FTTP service.

So usual cheaping out on backhaul or something similar.

Am I able to potentially get access to the "tail" in an uncontended manner, as long as I connect somewhere local to Pivits POI/DC/IX ? I presume I would be charged the equivalent of Pivits AVGC/CVC/Backhaul charge

What's the legislation say for these type of private build not-NBN style networks?

When the client complained about not being able to get other services the ISP took some delight in rubbing this link in their face:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2013L01809

Is the company in the worst monopolistic version of ISP hell possible?

Kind Regards,
Michael Carmody
Managing Director

 [OpusV_logo_emails]
11 Evans Street, Burwood, Vic 3125
Tel: +61 3 8060 4441 Fax: +61 3 9015 6438