[AusNOG] Lessons Learned From SA Blackout

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Sat Oct 1 14:34:25 EST 2016

On 9/30/2016 9:04 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>   We are now planning to double up storage at both sites. I feel it is important now not to rely on external refuelling sources being available for any reasonable time during or after an extended outage.
>
> - We are planning on having a better capability to transport diesel between our locations. Our newer site is a much bigger building and has space available to store more fuel that will then serve both locations independent of fuel suppliers providing we can transport diesel ourselves between sites.
>
> - Consideration of our telco suppliers and their capabilities.  As we provide both co-location services and transit to many of our clients, we will be looking further into their capabilities and the buildings their core pops are located in. While none failed during this event and all transit remained up it is something we will be looking at should an extended outage occur.
Just on this, have you got a contract in place with a fuel distributor?
It should have a written guarantee for delivery times.
The idea of having extra storage is a good idea though.
But given the critical nature of the services you provide you need to
have good agreements in place with suppliers.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager