[AusNOG] IPv6 excuses

Nathanael Bettridge nathanael at prodigy.com.au
Fri May 27 17:36:06 EST 2016

Just read through that now.
Privacy addresses are potentially a foil to this (which is why I mentioned them), but they can likely be linked across ephemeral addresses to some degree by session related data. Likewise with SHIM6. Certainly a problem for data retention in terms of volume however.
IPv6 NAT from what I can see isn't being applied on a wide scale in Australia. Perhaps within multihomed business environments it will find a place, but most consumer CPEs don’t even support NAT66 or NPT etc.
Data retention with a pure v6 network will certainly give far richer data to various agencies, that’s for sure.

-Nathanael Bettridge