[AusNOG] Endlessly resetting modems after DNS outage

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:10:49 EST 2016

Hi Narelle,

Yes, I have seen something like this recently while working with an IoT
developer.

There is a tendency to set short DNS TTL's for load balancing purposes in
modern web apps. If the development team is optimising for "cloud"
deployments with a view to having AWS available to handle additional load,
then this flexibility is probably rational.

A problem with short TTL's in embedded devices is that they then need to do
a DNS lookup nearly every time they send a heartbeat - instead of just
checking the resolver cache from the last lookup. This works fine in the
lab, but in the real world it means that a single lost packet in a UDP DNS
lookup can cause a TCP heartbeat process to fail.

Failure scenario => Congestion => More lost packets => Race condition.

If this is the case, a time-series graph of such failures may show spikes
with an interval equivalent to the DNS record TTL.

John