[AusNOG] IPv6 excuses

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:36:30 EST 2016

On 27 May 2016 at 14:06, Aftab Siddiqui <aftab at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

>> ISPs could create that incentive by making a dual IPv4/IPv6 stack
>> service cheaper than a single IPv4 stack service. The answer to the
>> "why" question above then becomes "because we get cheaper Internet
>> access."
>

> Here is the response from my residential ISP :)
> [its an NBN 100/40 service]
>
> ----
> Thank you for your e-mail.
>
> We regret to inform you that we do not support native IPv6 for residential
> customers. However we can provide you an explicit 6 to 4 tunneling solution
> so that allows IPv6 packets to be transmitted over our IPv4 backbone.
>
> ----

Deployment of residential IPv6 in recent years will have been slowed
down by the amount of industry consolidation that has occurred -
companies for sale don't spend on anything that is considered anything
other than essential. It is easy to guess who the above ISP might be,
and if that guess is correct, then they have been one of the
consolidees.

Regards,
Mark.