[AusNOG] Telstra DOT modem options

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:55:51 EST 2016

On 26 May 2016 4:12 PM, "Bradley Amm" <Bradley.Amm at telethonkids.org.au>
wrote:

> That seem like tin foil hat thing
> Do you have evidence to back this up

It makes complete sense. Telstra need to minimise their support costs
because it sounds like these are cheap and cheerful plans low end business
plans.

Single device type and remote operational access would significantly reduce
those costs.

About the only thing I would disagree with is Telstra making you buy the
device and then not giving you access to it. Either they own and operate
it, or they let you bring your own device and then increase the price of
the service to cover the inevitable larger service support costs.

Customisation and flexibility at a one size fits most pricing model can't
work unless you want to make a loss.

Regards,
Mark.

Michael White
> Sent: Thursday, 26 May 2016 1:30 PM
> To: 'Jason Xiros' <jason.xiros at gmail.com>
> Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Telstra DOT modem options
>
> One thing to keep in mind as well is that these Telstra supplied routers
have a hidden Telstra account and dynDNS service that allows them to
remotely connect and make changes to the router. Removing this account will
result in them saying it is faulty and shipping a new one.

> Michael

Xiros
> Sent: Thursday, 26 May 2016 2:47 PM
> To: Jarryd Sullivan
> Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Telstra DOT modem options
>

> Hi Jarryd,
>
> Appreciate the insight - thank you. We no longer have a tame Telstra AM,
so will perhaps badger support a bit more.

> Kind regards,
>
> Jason
>

> On 26 May 2016, at 12:38 pm, Jarryd Sullivan <Jarryd.Sullivan at area9.com.au>
wrote:

> > Hey Jason,
> >
> > Have had experience with a number of the DOT services both using the
DEVG2020 and the newer v7610. In both cases we've experienced a heap of
issues as you've described. We attempted to put in Cisco 887VA's and found
they do not work on DOT services. When speaking to the DOT team they
advised us the device supplied is the only device able to authenticate the
service. We tried MAC address spoofing on the Cisco however still found the
same issue. Have not spent any more time around getting them working.
Unfortunately for NBN and DSL we've had to in both cases get the customer
to provision a 2nd internet service as a work around.

> > I did manage to have a customer that argued enough with their account
manager to get the device restrictions removed and we have a single DOT
service working with a Cisco 887VA, however it took a lot of battling to
get Telstra to let this happen.

> > Jarryd Sullivan

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not use or forward the information contained in these documents. If you
have received this message in error, please delete the email and notify the
sender.

> > Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this message
and any attachments for viruses. Under no circumstances do we accept
liability for any loss or damage which may result from your receipt of this
message or any attachments.