[AusNOG] Aust IPv6 growth now tripled

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Fri May 20 23:57:30 EST 2016

Its not enough to be IPv6 enabled - when the site or elements of the site is
dual-stacked, the browser can still choose to access the IPv4 address, depending on
relative latency and a pile of other factors (search "Happy Eyeballs" / RFC6555).
Some browsers have plugins that can show which address was used to load each element
on the page (e.g. IPvFox, SixOrNot, 4or6 on Firefox) which can be instructive to show
the variation.

So an IPv6-enabled device might access an IPv6-enabled site, and still choose to use
IPv4 to do so - possibly for every element on the page.

Because of this, accessing www.kame.net I get the dancing turtle, however the 'IPv6
enabled' badge at the bottom thinks I'm using IPv4, because the browser used IPv6 to
access the main page ad PNGs and IPv4 to load the badge and the Google search widget.

www.kame.net:

http://www.kame.net     2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7
http://ajax.googleapis.com     216.58.199.42
http://www.ipv6forum.com   158.64.50.42

YMMV - depending on latency, bandwidth, topology, history, and possibly the phase of
the moon.