[AusNOG] Off Topic - Brisbane recruitment recommendations

Will Dowling will at autodeist.com
Mon May 16 11:34:45 EST 2016

> Although this appears to have gone off on a tangent, to bring it back to Cameron's original question: Where is the best place to get a consensus on the state of the industry with regard to this particular skill set?

+1 from someone who considers himself someone with this skill set and is confused by the market :(

Unless you’re working with a big enough content provider (e.g.: Googles’ “Network Systems Engineer” positions mentioned as AusNOG), people are probably hiring this as “DevOps” with all the pain that comes along with a buzzword title.

NoOps is the latest one, though I haven’t seen any jobs in AU for this yet - but is probably more targeted towards consumers of networks than anyone on this list.

Otherwise (and more often than not) it sounds like personal connections are still king for this space.

Forget it if you’re looking to be in the architecture/design/leadership side of this (and even more if you’re based in WA).

Happy to be proven wrong :)

Will Dowling

E: will at autodeist.com