[AusNOG] Au IPv6 doubling?

Fri May 6 19:23:09 EST 2016

Am 06.05.2016 um 10:57 schrieb Mark Delany:
>> Oh anyway.. this is about IPv6 isn't it? ??
>> The Apple announcement should hopefully speed things up.
> I'm not sure why people think this.
>
> As far as I understand it, the announcement is merely stating that
> apps must work in an environment where there is only a v6 interface
> available on the device. This is presumably to support operators that
> can't get - or don't want to buy - v4 addresses. (Or operators that
> don't want to buy ugly and costly CGNATs).
>
> This will have no effect on dual-stacked environments and no effect on
> the amount of v6 traffic generated. It's merely making sure that there
> are no legacy v4 dependencies in app code, such as size and format of
> network addresses. Given that most of the networking is abstracted
> away from apps on iOS, most apps will not have to make any changes at
> all to accomodate this requirement.
>
> As far as speeding things up, the Apple stacks have long supported and
> favoured v6 so any increase in traffic s still completely dependent on
> whether operators issue v6 addresses and whether end-points advertise
> them.

I can second that. Apple requires the App to be IPv6 ready, not the
service behind the App.
Otherwise you could just say goodbye to all E-Banking Apps, all Public
Transport Apps, all Weather Apps etc.
Those services won't be IPv6 ready on the server side for another 5
years or so (with Banks probably even longer)

Cheers,

Mat