[AusNOG] Au IPv6 doubling?

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri May 6 07:10:13 EST 2016

On 06May16, Mark Smith allegedly wrote:

> Possibly, and it doesn't matter.
>
> https://technet.microsoft.com/library/bb877979
>
> Every version of Windows since then has had a host firewall

Exactly.

I know this has been done to death, but the idea of an CPE firewall is
becoming pretty meaningless as you have 10s or 100s of IP connected
devices on the inside. All containing dubious software written by
not-very-caring vendors, such as IP cameras that reach back outside
the network to upload streams to dropbox.

I think we have to start thinking of the home network as a naturally
hostile environment - just as we do the wifi network at the local
coffee shop.

Mark.