[AusNOG] Au IPv6 doubling?

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri May 6 06:45:05 EST 2016

On 5 May 2016 20:28, "Peter Fern" <ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com> wrote:

> On 05/05/16 20:12, Russell Langton wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > Suspect this is caused by telstra enabling ipv6 on some bigpond adsl
> > services.
> > Depending on modem, you may be using ipv6 now without knowing it.
> > I'd be watching the graph over the next couple of weeks as well :)
> >

> What do the default firewalls look like on those modems?  Will we
> suddenly find thousands of Windows PCs directly accessible on the
Internet?

Possibly, and it doesn't matter.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/bb877979

Every version of Windows since then has had a host firewall, mainly
courtesy of this guy - http://www.huitema.net/bio.asp (his "Routing In The
Internet" book is excellent).

The easier target these days is the unmaintained CPE itself, and they're
much easier to find.

http://routersecurity.org/bugs.php

People need to stop thinking that host security is stuck in the in the
1990s/early 2000s. There are instances where it is, but it is not universal.