[AusNOG] Telstra wholesale EA fibre shaping

Greg Lipschitz Greg at thesummitgroup.com.au
Wed May 4 08:34:27 EST 2016

Hi Radek,

If you're handing off to the Customer as PPPoE, then setup policies on your LNS and apply with RADIUS attributes. That way, shaping is applied on your core on the way in (Customer Download) and will save the "Picket Fencing" that you get when you hit the carrier policer.

>From the customer back to your core (Customer Upload), you'll need to do some sort of shaping and queuing either on a device you control or on the customers CPE.

We've seen so many people try and fail to do this on their CPE that we now just put a device between the carrier NTU and customer CPE so that we can hand off knowing that the service will work and we will not get phone calls and cause un-needed end user frustration.

There are some pretty good docs on the TW portal in regards to how they "Colour" their buckets of CIR:PIR so that you can create your policies in the same way.

The other thing you have to do is get a device of all makes, models, shapes and sizes and write a crapload of docs and then have enough know how on how each one moves and shakes to be able to provide support on it. Again, increased load on your helpdesk for something that could be solved pretty easily in other ways. [😊]

Cheers,

Greg