[AusNOG] Consultation on s313(3) use

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon May 2 13:46:32 EST 2016

Additionally:

On Apr 30, 2016, at 1:20 AM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  the privacy arguments no longer wash, and the technology arguments that applied 10 years ago have been outpaced by Moore's Law.

Whether or not “privacy arguments no longer wash” is a question of considerable political controversy, and endless complexity.

The fact that reasonable minds can (and do) differ means that midway imposition of a fait accomplis end to the argument simply on a politician’s say-so is a usurpation of the democratic process we’re supposed to use to resolve questions like that.

Western democracies have a long tradition of preservation of the status quo until consensus has been built: That’s supposed to be a very conservative position, it’s the way matters of large public controversy have always been settled.

Those pushing for increased monitoring and control over the Internet attempt to bypass that: Even though our body-politic hasn’t finished the debate, they want to impose a “solution” that matches the way they want the debate to end.

In that environment, “TLS everywhere” sounds like a pretty good principle, in that it puts permission for monitoring and control more in the hands of the users.

  - mark