[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Tue Mar 29 18:57:10 EST 2016

> On 4/01/2015, at 18:00, Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.get-console.com/shop/en/usb-to-serial-cables/57-usb-serial-cable-rj45-180cm.html
>
> Haven’t let me down yet! Drivers work on just about anything.

I strongly endorse this.

These are wonderful cables and I keep one in every bag I have.

Out of the box support on the Mac. Just plug in and it enumerates in the /dev/cu area.

Each one lines up with a "serial" number or other part to the name on the Mac so can be helpful with multiple terminal Windows on different devices if doing a complex change / labelling long term fitted cables with the reference number.

They obviously also stock the shorter cables and the get console devices can use either length of cable so provides additional flexibility.

I haven't yet tested this on a raspberry Pi or similar or tested it directly with my iPad / iPhone (I use the air console for that) but it has never let me down on a Mac or Windows VM.

Regards
Alexander.