[AusNOG] Electrical Safety in Data Centres

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Tue Jun 21 19:21:29 EST 2016

We recently had this issue in one of our facilities. It was all cleared and
good because of Work Cover.

Basically this is from our facilities Manager

"Document page 103, PDF page 106
Clause 2.6.3.2.1
Exception 6

So each socket needs a label saying "not RCD protected" (or a giant sign on
the door saying all sockets aren't)

Our case (eg datacentres) is that RCDs have to be tested at least 6 monthly
that would effect the installation as it would cut power to the equipment
and thus effect the business as a whole.

There is no adverse risk as this equipment is for a specific purpose and
not a general purpose outlet (eg no normal power points on the circuits
that a cleaner could connect a vacuum cleaner to). It is also one to one
(one socket to one breaker) so no additional points on the circuit.
And that all cabling is double insulated, not designed to be handheld or
moved. We also have "competent persons" only allowed in the room who are
inducted (yes, its covered in the induction manuals) in how the DC works
and are fully aware of the dangers.

So that's the wiring rules, now to workcover

Workcover states that only certain devices need it
http://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/health-and-safety/industry-safety/electrical-and-power/residual-current-devices

This gets a bit more detailed
http://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/health-and-safety/industry-safety/electrical-and-power/electrical-safety
​"​
​

​We then had Signs made for the doors, Happy to send them to you if you
want them, they conform to Work Cover standards :)​