[AusNOG] Interesting presentation from NANOG conference - "Post IPv4 Depletion Trends"

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Thu Jun 16 18:14:15 EST 2016

Interesting video, and would be interesting to see an APNIC analysis. +1

Would legitimate companies setting up shell companies to get more space for
their own uses have been the larger/largest reason for depletion? And/or
would we expect that here in AU/APNIC land? Apparently we've just dipped
below half our /8 remaining <http://labs.apnic.net/ipv4/report.html>.  And
appears as though allocation rates are rising (hard to tell from the tiny
graph, and no thanks to the huge spike ~2010)..

Although, 30 x /15 allocation (stage 4 ARIN maximum allowed size) would be
~22% of the remaining /8 if they managed to grab that large of an
allocation each time (sounds like they did, or at least the allocation got
past ARIN reviewers). Put in perspective for APNIC, 30x/22 is only .18% of
our last /8  which isn't anywhere near as big.