[AusNOG] IPv6 excuses

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:31:58 EST 2016

On 8 Jun 2016 5:38 PM, "Zia Nayamuth" <zedestructor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2016-06-08 1458, Mark Newton wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Simon Attwell <simon at attwell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Therefore one must assume that IPv6 is metered.
>>

>> Quotas are really very big now, compared to the state of the art when
unmetering was first deployed (3 gig cap!).

>> If you’re on a 100Gbyte+ plan, does that actually matter anymore?
>>
>>   - mark
>
> The largest capped plan I've seen available here is a mere 1000GB.
Currently, at my apartment with 3 people, we're pushing 450GB/mo on a light
month and over a terabyte on heavier months, and that's on miserly ADSL2+
20/1 all thanks to YouTube and Netflix for the most part. If we had faster
connections, we'd be pushing a fair bit higher as I'd be in a position to
start backing up more of my data offsite.

How much data would you be backing up per month?

I've seen people say they need no quotas and high speeds for what is
actually just a single one off large upload. Subsequent months their
backups are likely to be no more than 10% of the initial backup.

The extreme case is usually not the common case.

> So no, quotas are not really very big, they're just enough for the
average household these days. For all the flak TPG gets (and their stupid
lack of IPv6), I will give them credit for not having shaped me in any
shape way or form on their unlimited plans.