[AusNOG] Rod Simms should resign [was] News: ACCC opening up Œsuperfast' broadband networks to competition

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Sat Jul 30 22:01:33 EST 2016

***REMEMBER AUSNOG RULES JOURNO¹S*** :)

So what I meant to say is if Rod Simms and the ACCC want ³truth in
advertising² providers should be saying:

³Your $60 broadband plan on the NBN will provide a guaranteed 580kbps of
service regardless of access speed and we will use traffic shaping to
deliver you more²

³Your $60 broadband plan will not support a guaranteed single Netflix
stream in so we have deployed traffic shaping technology across the
network so we can delay non-time sensitive/bandwidth insensitive traffic
and reduce the quality of the Netflix stream to the point that it can now
work during peak times and while you start to notice degradation, but not
enough for hieroglyphics.  If the CVC fee was between $2-$5/mbps this
would not be an issue, but the ACCC believes that the cost to connect your
house next door to the NBN PoI to the NBN PoI should be twice to three
times as expensive as connecting the NBN PoI to a website hosted on the
other side of the planet."

[b]