[AusNOG] Fibre Cut NEXTDC S1 Yesterday?

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Sat Jul 16 20:49:33 EST 2016

**NOT FOR REPUBLISHING**
Hi Matt,

Bore hits are amongst the worst possible.  Because unlike a ³backhoe fade²
the backhoe driver lifts the bucket and notices some blue cable and
(usually) stops.  A person that ³bores² often hits and keeps boring wrapping
the cable around the borer and keeps it going.  Bore gets tight, so they go
harder.  Sometimes if the operator keeps going and going then this can pulls
the tubes of fibre so much that it ³snaps² further and further down the
cable path.  It can sometimes pull additional cable from the maintenance
loops in manholes further down the street.  These maintenance loops are more
designed as slack so a new pit and joint can be dropped where the incident
occurred.   Loops can also help protect the joint at either end from getting
slammed into the pit wall causing more damage and outages.  On this occasion
I understand a kink formed in one of these loop as it was being forcefully
fed into the duct which meant those fibres were also damaged.  This leads to
cable replacement from the original joint all the way through.  Due to the
Motor Way (and not many buildings along that route) the distance between
joints/loops was a bit longer than normal.  So yeah ­ it took quite a long
time to repair.

Quite remarkably there was a scheduled outage in three weeks to relocate the
duct bank.  Duct bank relocations are quite rare so we will have to look at
the impact of same.

As for what happens?  Well the operator will want to have great insurance.
Usually no criminal action is taken due to lack of intent (usually
negligence/stupidity).  In Singapore if this occurred you will almost
certainly go to jail and face multi-million dollar fines.

Cheers

[b]