[AusNOG] Open Networking

Ben Hohnke settra+ausnog at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:50:14 EST 2016

We're looking into it, as there is a large cost saving to be had.
Unfortunately, as we have a high reliance on MPLS for our network, our
options are limited. Cumulus are adding in MPLS support soon, but its only
BGP label distribution, which is not very handy in a large network. I've
been talking with them, however, and am considering a limted trial in our
network for some L2 stuff, in conjunction with some Agema Trident2 switches
we have gotten in.

We're testing switch and virtual router software from Ip Infusion, but I
wouldn't really call it "open" - the routing stack is based on Zebra I
think, but everything is closed source.

We use VyOS a little where we don't need MPLS, and it does the job.

I've done some testing using OpenBSD and LDPd with OSPFd, but I was seeing
some weird behaviour when I fed it a full LDP and OSPF table from our
network.
We are a mainly Cisco and Mikrotik shop, however this is starting to change
as newer players enter the market, and are able to beat the bigger players
on price.

Longer term, I expect our core to contain little to no Cisco / $bigvendor,
mainly because we're at a scaling point where the $ vs performance is
heavily weighted against any of the big players. Why get a $40k router that
can do 20-30Gb/s of forwarding when you can get a  $10k L3 switch that can
do it all at line rate?