[AusNOG] Open Networking

Simon Attwell simon at attwell.net
Mon Jul 4 12:35:07 EST 2016

Hi All,

Just curious how many of you have deployed / are deploying / Open
Networking in production environments.
I'm interested to see if ON is making its way down to the edge (1Gbps
PoE/PoE+) or if it's mainly being used at the distribution / core layers or
at the service provider level where there's little end device connectivity
and it's more about moving the packets around.

Comments on hardware choice / stability / longevity / MTBF / support, are
also appreciated.

>From a Cumulus perspective it looks like 1 Gbps - 100Gbps is where things
are focused.
Nothing with PoE/PoE+ support so it looks like at the moment we're only
talking about datacenter switching.

What I don't see deployed today is a lot of technology mix, especially in
switching. Customers have a preference and for support / interop / personal
reasons tend to stick with a single vendor for switching.
In the past this has made sense as switches did not always play well with
others.

I'm wondering what you all think the 3 - 5 year picture looks like.

I suspect it looks a lot like the current virtualization market. A few
major players with custom software built on open source foundations, being
hardware agnostic and the holdouts trying to ignore the fact that the
industry is fundamentally changing.

- Simon