[AusNOG] Network Engineer

paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
Mon Jul 4 10:03:50 EST 2016

Hi All, I am looking for some wisdom from members about remuneration packages for Network Engineers/Admin roles, we considering putting somebody on soon and I am trying to get a grasp on the cost of a decent person in that area.

We are a small ISP with a couple of hundred customers, we are considering expanding our team  to add a network engineer/admin person who will oversee our fairly straightforward network.
We basically have a mix of Cisco, Mikrotik, and Juniper switches, nothing overly fancy really.
We have the usual ISP stuff, radius, DNS, MySQL databases, and some VMWare, Email hosting, Website hosting and a few other basic services which we would need the person to either know or pickup fairly easily.

Can anybody offer any advice as to what a reasonably skilled person would be worth for such a role ?

We don't need certifications or university degrees, but I would be looking for somebody who is keen to learn and knows the network components of an ISP well enough to be able to do all of the day to day management and also design work so they would definitely need experience in BGP, OSPF, IPV4 and IPV6 etc.

Thanks for your suggestions

Regards
Paul