[AusNOG] 10GbE Switching Options

Laurens Lafebre laurens at lafebre.me
Sat Jul 2 16:20:51 EST 2016

We looked at Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, Arista, Huawei, Dell and HP for some
switching needs.

~Brocade was immediately dismissed as a non-viable long term vendor due to
a variety of reasons. Their heavy focus on SDN is premature and ODL seems
to be dying. No ONIE.

~Juniper doesnt seem very innovative at the moment. Junos was good but is
very bloated and extremely slow for automation and orchestration
requirements. OCX is interesting,

~Cisco is great but the features vs costs is just too high. Their XML
interface for automation is terrible and their tin is very expensive for no
valid reason. No ONIE is disappointing.

~Arista are nice hardware which is reasonably priced but we need a long
term vendor and they just arent worth taking a chance on right now. No ONIE
is disappointing.

~Huawei have some nice kit but no ONIE capable equipment and the
organisation is still annoying to deal with.

So we're going Dell or HP with Cumulus when we do our refresh. The cost
savings make it hard to ignore and we already know Linux. It just makes
sense to give it a go. Skeeves talk at the recent Commsday in Sydney
(thanks by the way) highlighted the benefits and risks and Ive been doing
research and it is pretty clear where the industry is going. Skeeve - is
the talk online somewhere? I wanted a few people to get an overall clearer
picture of what is happening.

LL

LL

- Si vis pacem para bellum