[AusNOG] Sad retirement day...

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Jan 13 20:26:54 EST 2016

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Mark Smith wrote:

> An interesting question would be when would it have become cheaper to
> replace it just on the power savings alone.

In the last 7 years, it's run entirely off renewable energy, so "cost of
power" has been basically zero.

But it's still a valid point. It was never a particularly hungry beast - I
couldn't have run say, a DL-380 here because of the power it would have
consumed - but this box (no kb, no monitor) took (from memory) under 50W

> I bought one of these a few years ago for around $60 just to play with
> after loading up OpenWRT on it (and haven't actually really done anything
> with it.)

I've got a bunch (30 or 40 or so) WRG54GL devices reflashed to openWRT,
running all over the country doing all sorts of things. They're remarkably
robust, but lack several things I specifically needed on this old box.

> It was only after buying it did I realise it had a more powerful CPU, more
> RAM, more storage and ran on far less power than the first computer I ever
> bought - a 80486 for around $4k in somewhere around 1990.

It's amazing. I look at some of the tiny little PIC chips I embed in
things. Not much more than 5mm x 3mm, run on a milliwatt or so, with
processor speeds around 80MHz, and including a bunch of IO and A/D
channels... and cost about $2 each!

R.