[AusNOG] NBN 1Gb "fiber" services

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu Feb 25 10:16:10 EST 2016

On 25/02/16 08:10, Ben Thompson wrote:
> > fibRE while you're in Australia please
> Thanks
>
> >At this stage the fastest speed that an end user can have is 100Mb
> there are plans in the future to allow speeds upto 1Gb but not in the
> foreseeable future
> 1Gb is definitely listed there. What is the practical difference
> between FTTN/FTTB and the mysterious "fiber". Perhaps this implies
> it's not delivered on the standard NTDs we're so familiar with.
>
> >skymesh offer 100/100 plans by selling the 250/100 plan and rate
> limiting the download to 100.
> Interesting! Is this off of a standard NTD? If so, why the
> differentiation between FTTN/FTTB and "fiber"?
>
> Thanks guys

FTTN/B max speed is 100/40 at least in its current iteration at least
that's the highest speed I've seen. I also haven't looked at the nbnco
doc's for that product so I could be very wrong lol. There is also talk
about the nodes already being congested though I don't know how true
that is vs the POI's being the source of the trouble.

FTTN is delivered to a RSP supplied modem, not to an NBN owned NTD. So
you are going to get all the lovely circular, "its your modem" "its your
line" "restart your computer" crap going on when things go wrong yay.