[AusNOG] Moving Disaster Site to Cloud

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:16:46 EST 2016

On 11 February 2016 at 10:06, Qui Le <QLe at sydneyoperahouse.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> We are thinking of moving our DR service to Cloud – not sure which
> provider to use yet.

Select your provider based on their ability to meet your requirements - the
provider selection should be a very late decision in your process.

> We are looking at prerequisite information/requirement such as VLAN,
>  rack space , equipment ie network requirements

Much of this is irrelevant with a cloud service provider, or defined by you
when you set up your service.  The whole point of cloud is to abstract
yourself from the underlying details of the infrastructure required to
provide the service to you as the customer.  If you want to control those
things, cloud isn't right for you.

> Anyone with experiences , things to consider or tips of doing this are
> much appreciated.

Start with what your goals are.  Then go and ask the providers you talk to
how they would help you to meet those goals.

Happy to talk more off-list - this topic really isn't appropriate for the
AusNOG lists anyway.