[AusNOG] DDoS attack sizes

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Mon Feb 8 18:05:45 EST 2016

On 2/8/2016 5:22 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> esterday we experienced an 850 megabit DDoS attack towards a hosting customer which almost filled our gigabit uplink and made our upstream provider call me on a Sunday due to abnormal traffic on our port.
>
> Thank god it was Sunday so our network was underutilized with no collateral damage and everything remained working, but I asked the upstream provider what we can do about it other than null routing the destination and they said purchase more capacity.
>
> In the past we have seen a few attacks but they have only been a few hundred megabits and never come close to saturating our gigabit uplink.
You should have DDoS protection on your network.
Plus more than one upstream provider as well, I would suggest talking to
the likes of Micron21.
They have recently expanded their network into Singapore and the EU as
well as the USA and au.
800Megabits is quite a small attack and would be handled quite easily by
any decent DDos mitigation system.
Take a look at http://www.micron21.com/ddos-protection.php for info.

--
Chad Kelly