[AusNOG] DDoS attack sizes

Nick Evendor nickevendor at outlook.com
Mon Feb 8 16:42:02 EST 2016

Yesterday we experienced an 850 megabit DDoS attack towards a hosting customer which almost filled our gigabit uplink and made our upstream provider call me on a Sunday due to abnormal traffic on our port.

Thank god it was Sunday so our network was underutilized with no collateral damage and everything remained working, but I asked the upstream provider what we can do about it other than null routing the destination and they said purchase more capacity.

In the past we have seen a few attacks but they have only been a few hundred megabits and never come close to saturating our gigabit uplink.

What size attacks are people seeing and is it time to over purchase bandwidth and move to a ten gigabit service.

Nick