[AusNOG] Can't bring up 6in4 tunnel (IPv6) because public IP changing on Optus ADSL

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Feb 2 09:57:21 EST 2016

In message <CAFDgZgVft=pJTHhLzEn+AhQQFbUgEjup-5CHK4zqxrKysTyz0w at mail.gmail.com>, Tom Storey writes:
> Is the PPP session dropping by any chance? I think I had something
> like this a year or two ago and it turned out to be a buggy JunOS
> version, I had to roll back to a previous version.
>
> I have successfully brought up a he.net tunnel with an SRX110, so its
> definitely possible and there should be no unexpected behaviour when
> everything is running fine.

Additionally HE is setup to authenicate and reconfigure the tunnel
using the observed IPv4 address so this will work through NAT from
a DMZ host so you don't need to know know your public IPv4 address.

I've configured HE tunnels to use RFC 1918 address locally and as
long as the packets goes through the NAT both ways it works.

Obviously it is better if you only reconfigure on a renumber event
but you could just re-authenticate every 15 minutes from cron.

Mark