[AusNOG] Internet companies forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites in Australia, Federal Court rules

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Dec 17 16:48:37 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 09:41:28AM +1100, Ross Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016, michael.bethune at australiaonline.net.au wrote:
> >Of course, it is feasible to require ISPs to block use of external DNS
> >servers...
>
> That would cause a great deal of damage to legitimate testing - eg, I
> frequently query other nameservers for diagnostic purposes. If my upstream
> were to artificially restrict my access to them for such purposes, I'd be
> hopping mad.

Even better is when, as has happened to me on occasion, the DNS requests are
transparently redirected to the provider's own DNS servers, which then do
some tricky magicks to try, as much as possible, to respond as the
legitimate name servers would.  It wasn't until I got suspicious of this
very thing happening and did a tcpdump on an external DNS server I
controlled and fired requests at it (which never got to their destination)
that I got the confirmation.

"Hopping mad" doesn't even begin to describe it.

- Matt