[AusNOG] Internet companies forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites in Australia, Federal Court rules

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Dec 16 11:13:54 EST 2016

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016, Steve Kurzeja wrote:

> but it is an effective first line of defence mechanism for parental
> control/content filtering purposes.

For a quick and easy, reasonably light-weight opt-in solution, sure.
But as a mandated, catch-everybody regulatory instrument it blows chunks.

Let me be perfectly clear: I don't condone or support piracy.
The specific instance we're currently discussion (ie, foxtel vs "the
internet") - is in no small part brought on by the rights-holders and
their agents. Artificially witholding products (to cite a specific
semi-recent exampe, "Game of Thrones") for weeks or months after their
release in other parts of the world, purely so they can milk every last
cent out of consumers - is pretty much guaranteed to create an environment
where sites like TPB flourish.

If these people made legally purchasing (licensing) the product, in a
timely manner, and at a fair and reasonable price, without having to jump
through hoops - well, I suspect the VAST majority of those who currently
obtain pirate copies of the material, wouldn't bother doing so.

Artificially breaking the way the internet works in order to prop up
dubious business operations, through brute force methods (like court
orders) is not something that should be encouraged.

</opinion>
R.