[AusNOG] Google Now Android on Telstra Mobile

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Tue Aug 30 21:32:48 EST 2016

On 30 August 2016 at 11:13, Joe Saxton <Joe.Saxton at workforce.com.au> wrote:

> Anyone noticing issues accessing Google Now on Android with Telstra Mobile
> over the past few days.
>
> My device isn't rooted so i can't perform a packet capture to find out the
> ip address or protocol.
>
> Doing some googling can only find out these ip address for Google now
> 74.125.142.192
> 173.194.74.192
>
> Related post on whirl pool.
>
> Devices are nexus 5x and galaxy s6
>
> Regards,
> Joe Saxton

Possibly a little off topic, but I will reply on-list because it might be
useful to others.

You can do packet captures without rooting your phone using the VPN
interface.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.sslcapture

I have this app on my non-rooted android phone, not only does packet
captures but also SSL stripping (on-device MITM). It's no wireshark, but it
can be useful for a quick look at what is going on.

I have also had a look at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.taosoftware.android.packetcapture
which allows you to transfer captures to a PC, but if I am doing that level
of analysis I can just take captures from my network so I personally found
the first to be a more useful tool.

I am not sure if it is a limitation of the VPN interface or an
implimentation choice, but both of the above apps only capture IPv4 and
therefore disable IPv6 when active :(

- Mike Jones