[AusNOG] LibreNMS vs Observium

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Mon Aug 29 13:58:03 EST 2016

2.5 cents,

Both work and do good jobs of what they do. Feature sets have diverged a
little since the split; understandably. Make sure you're familiar with the
current differences.

Observium has better overall hardware support and feature set still; in my
opinion. And it still appears to have a larger user base/community and more
active development (I believe).

That's balanced against Adam's general attitude, which is and should be
concerning for continuity reasons if nothing else, and more specifically
his approach to development/feature requests/patch acceptance.

But it works well and we're continuing to pay for the professional
subscription.

It was comforting to see the copyright transferred to Observium Ltd; giving
the project a chance that it may yet grow into a decent commercial offering.

But it's nice knowing LibreNMS is a good alternative if it all ends badly.

-Colin