[AusNOG] 10G Switches

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Wed Aug 24 11:15:47 EST 2016

Hi

On 24 August 2016 at 10:28, Aftab Siddiqui <aftab at eintellegonetworks.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I seem to remember somebody picking the HP altoline switches. The
>> cumulus capable switches
>>
>> Wondering how they are going .
>>
>> Or if any one else is has any comments.
>>

> From my personal experience, the label on the box is irrelevant. You can
> use Dell or HP or EdgeCore. They all use the Same chipset (Broadcom), the
> only difference is RAM and CPU, slightly different in all models. Just pick
> the vendor of your choice.

Interesting this current testing phase has given me different results. One
of my requirements is > 1Gb/s Multicast and > 5Gb/s udp. as tested in my
framework.

server to server I can do about 6Gb/s MC and bit more straight UDP.
via arista 4-5Gb MC and bit more for UDP
via dell .... couldn't get above 1Gb/s without lots of issues . talked to
the their support no answer. (So-4048 - running EOS not cumulus

> e.g. (slightly old specs, but just for an idea. Anyone with latest specs
> can correct me)
>
> Dell S-4048: CPU Intel Atom C2338, Memory - 2GB
> Dell S-6000: CPU Intel Atom S1220, Memory - 4GB
>
> Accton/EdgeCore/HP 5712: CPU Intel Rangely C2538, Memory - 8GB
> Accton/EdgeCore/HP 6712: CPU Intel Rangely C2538, Memory - 8GB
>

>> Look at these compared to arista.
>>

> same chipset different OS. Cisco like CLI - EOS. If you are on NANOG
> mailing list then follow the thread "Arista unqualified SFP" :)
>

>> I do like the cumulus / puppet side of things

Yes the locking of ports annoys me, but it seems like we fit right to get
an unlock.

> And that was one of the most important reason (automation) why we took the
> open networking path and have already deployed 00s of switches (mostly Dell
> and now evaluating Mellanox because of Spectrum chipset)

Are you using puppet ?