[AusNOG] 10G Switches

Aftab Siddiqui aftab at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Aug 24 10:28:29 EST 2016

Hi Alex,

I seem to remember somebody picking the HP altoline switches. The
> cumulus capable switches
>
> Wondering how they are going .
>
> Or if any one else is has any comments.
>

>From my personal experience, the label on the box is irrelevant. You can
use Dell or HP or EdgeCore. They all use the Same chipset (Broadcom), the
only difference is RAM and CPU, slightly different in all models. Just pick
the vendor of your choice.

e.g. (slightly old specs, but just for an idea. Anyone with latest specs
can correct me)

Dell S-4048: CPU Intel Atom C2338, Memory - 2GB
Dell S-6000: CPU Intel Atom S1220, Memory - 4GB

Accton/EdgeCore/HP 5712: CPU Intel Rangely C2538, Memory - 8GB
Accton/EdgeCore/HP 6712: CPU Intel Rangely C2538, Memory - 8GB

> Look at these compared to arista.

same chipset different OS. Cisco like CLI - EOS. If you are on NANOG
mailing list then follow the thread "Arista unqualified SFP" :)

> I do like the cumulus / puppet side of things

And that was one of the most important reason (automation) why we took the
open networking path and have already deployed 00s of switches (mostly Dell
and now evaluating Mellanox because of Spectrum chipset)

Best Wishes,

*Aftab Siddiqui - CTO & Country Manager*
eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
Email: aftab at eintellegonetworks.com ; Web: eintellegonetworks.com

Phone: 1300 239 038 ; Cell +61 (0)450 609 592 ; Skype: aftabsiddiqui2

Facebook: eintellegonetworks <http://facebook.com/eintellegonetworks> ;
Twitter: eintellego <https://twitter.com/eintellego>

LinkedIn: /in/aftabs <http://linkedin.com/in/aftabs>