[AusNOG] Small-scale VDSL Deployment - Feedback and Help Wanted

Jacob Kino jacob at interconnekt.com.au
Fri Aug 19 16:14:14 EST 2016

Hi Ausnog,

We have a customer with a 56 apartment complex who are looking for a FTTB/VDSL solution to provide for tenants as part of their offering (probably on a free/freemium model).

The reason they're looking at FTTP/VDSL over wireless is they had not cabled with wireless in mind but there's copper going to each apartment. Also the feeling is this will be more flexible as it supports wired Ethernet devices and is possibly easier to deploy in some respects.

We don't have any experience deploying DSLAMs and we're looking for both some feedback from those who have deployed these kind of solutions on a small scale as well as potentially engaging someone to assist with the build.

We have all the backhaul aspect sorted, we're more looking for someone to assist with some design work, configuring the DSLAM along with integration into our existing infrastructure.

In terms of the hardware, we're likely to emphasise price and simplicity of management over scalability or more complex feature set.

Please reply off-list for any commercial discussions.

Cheers,

Jacob