[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Thu Aug 11 12:14:26 EST 2016

I just saw this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10/australian_prime_minister_says_ibm_used_dud_dos_shield_for_failed_online_census/

That quote from Turnbull would explain the lack of anyone noticing any
DoS traffic, if they didn't implement any protections at all then anyone
could have taken them offline.

I wonder if the ABS could sue for negligence in a situation like that.

On 11/08/16 08:55, Mark Newton wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2016, at 8:54 AM, John Edwards <jaedwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So what I take from your analysis is; that the Australian Government's peak body of statisticians didn't try fitting their assumptions to a normal distribution?
> Pretty much.
>
> And given the ready availability of sources like Arbor, who track DDoS activity: I think we can say that if you have access to sufficient relevant statistical data, it’s easy to tell when someone is lying.
>
>    - mark

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!