[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Aug 10 15:10:04 EST 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM, James Braunegg <james.braunegg at micron21.com>
wrote:

> No need for Geo Blocking.. that’s hard work
>
> Just only advertise the route locally within Australia i.e... to Optus,
> Telstra and on peering exchanges... Job done..

Except the real world is never that simple...

For example, at the moment they seem to have done something like what
you've suggested. Here in the US I'm not able to access any of the Census
websites - simply times out at the TCP level.

Which would be fine - except that much of the content for the site is being
loaded from the Softlayer CDN network (in reverse proxy mode).  And at
least some people in Australia are being directed to CDN nodes outside of
Australia.  And those CDN nodes then can't access the origin servers to get
the content to display it, as they are geo-blocked.

So geo-blocking (in whatever form they are using) means that the CDN can't
load content, so the pages are showing up as broken for at least some users
in Australia - even though they can get to the ABS site itself.

  Scott