[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Aug 10 10:28:18 EST 2016

On Aug 10, 2016, at 10:03 AM, James Braunegg <james.braunegg at micron21.com> wrote:
> If you look on public peering exchanges around the world for an abnormal increase of traffic during last night, you don’t see any such increase, nor any evidence.

I’m very skeptical of a DDoS.

The ABS said last week that everything was fine because they load tested the site for 1 million submissions per hour which is a really big number so we’re cool, right?

Based on the population of Australia and the likely desire to submit between 7pm and 9pm, they needed about double that for average load. Probably four times or more for bursty peaks.

They screwed the capacity planning. 1 million submissions per hour is tiny-skinny, there’s no way that that’d be good enough.

I think the “DDoS” was ten million households all visiting the census site and attempting to submit. Horrible nasty hackers, if only they knew better.

  - mark