[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Andy Taylor andy at coastalaudio.com.au
Wed Aug 10 09:38:35 EST 2016

So what we are seeing here is a Census that reassures us that our data is
"safe"...
Yet doesn't take adequate steps to properly encrypt it, or protect the
network...
Incidentally, I used "not" and "applicable" for name and surname and a
number for age (without DOB) on my online submission...
It was lodged at about 1830 with no issues at all - before the network and
servers become busy after dinner...
Given that the IT industry is becoming more security-centric every day, why
was this so poorly mitigated?
Does anyone know whether a PenTest was actually commissioned, or whether it
was just load balancing?
Was a proper black box test commissioned in conjunction with the load
balancing...?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was just poor infrastructure planning as
this map DDoS map from last night shows...
https://twitter.com/GordyPls/status/763145953415090176/photo/1
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/08/the-australian-census-website-didnt-just-c
rash-it-was-hacked/

Matt and Mark have both hit the nail on the head...

Andy Taylor
Technical Director

0424 656 973

www.coastalaudio.com.au