[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Mark van der Meulen mark at vdm.id.au
Wed Aug 10 00:58:44 EST 2016

Too much time on your hands mate

-----Original Message-----
From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Karl Auer
Sent: Wednesday, 10 August 2016 12:47 AM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] census issues tonight

On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 13:36 +0000, Tom Berryman wrote:
> “What were you browsing during the 2016 Census?”

Many moons ago, oh dearly beloved, a young man called David was tasked with running a Census. He bent himself earnestly to the task, but Young David listened not to the wisdom of sages. Young David minded not the will of the people. In Young David's hands the Census became... a Clusterfuck.

Scorn and derision rose like toxic fumes from every hut and hovel across the land.

The young man fled, his face burning. He stumbled out of the smoking ruins of his career and travelled far away, over the great waters, away, away. He lived a life monastic and humble. The days and weeks and months and years flowed like water over and around him.

After many years, though, his homeland called to him, and he once more turned towards it. He was a young man no more; he was an old man. Old and much changed, and knew he would not be recognised. He hoped that the passage of time might have allowed his terrible failure to have faded in the memory of his countrymen.

Upon his return he gazed in wonder about him, for as he had changed so too had his homeland. Where once trees and grassy areas had been, there were towers and malls. He cried out in wonder.

"What is it, old man?" asked a passing child. "Are you in pain? Can I help you?"

"No, no", said the old man. "it is just that this place I once knew is now foreign to my eyes. How long, pray tell, has this great tower stood, where once a graceful parkland stretched?"

"I know not", said the child. "But it has stood these many years. It was built, so we are taught, not more than a year or two after Young David fucked up the Census...."

Regards, K.

PS: Adapted from a much older joke, not mine.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4