[AusNOG] Data retention law - Anyone tested its validity with in-house counsel or legal associates

Rod rod at rb.net.au
Tue Aug 9 22:54:19 EST 2016

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone actually has obtained legal advice on the validity of
the Data retention law and is willing to share?

Found this link tonight but unclear on its veracity:

8 April 2014:  The [European] Court of Justice declares the Data Retention
Directive to be invalid

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2014-04/cp140054en.p
df

Under our treaty obligations I'm uncertain if we need to 'harmonise' our
laws with the Europeans on Human rights.

Rod