[AusNOG] Ozservers

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:48:23 EST 2016

>From OzServers:
--
7:35AM - 11:40AM AEST

Issue Summary:

At around 7:35AM our primary transit provider suffered from issues with the
networking equipment providing connectivity to 96 Lytton Road.
http://status.vocus.com.au/view-incident.aspx?IncidentID=198

Normally in this situation BGP should have flipped routing through our
alternative path via NextDC B1 and bypassed the affected upstream router.
Due to erroneous configuration this failed to occur as it should and the
secondary router would instead become unresponsive whenever the BGP flapped
over.

We have a contingency plan in which we can bypass Vocus entirely by
utilizing on-demand transit from another provider in the event of
catastrophic upstream failures but this is delivered via MegaPort to our
NextDC POP.

Effectively the network fell victim to a third party issue being compounded
by an issue within our own infrastructure, an issue which also precluded
the rollout of our failure plan.

Resolution:

The network was stabilized by our network contractor correcting the issue
with the router at NextDC POP and allowing traffic to route around the
affected Vocus equipment. When we have confirmation that our upstream has
corrected their issues routing will be returned to its normal paths.

Corrective Measures:

* Work with network contractor to re-implement and test BGP failover
between 96 Lytton and NextDC B1
* Ensure support staff more quickly update social media platforms to keep
clients in the loop. With our support being provided over our primary links
it can result in clients being left in the dark when catastrophic network
failure occurs.
* Investigate ways in which additional transit providers can be introduced
to the network blend in a timely manner upon catastrophic failure of
primary transit.

Oz Servers Pty Ltd
Phone: 1300 138 969
Web: http://www.ozservers.com.au